Did you know that making music is the ONLY activity that taps into ALL portions of the brain? That’s pretty powerful stuff! And that’s a huge reason why we do what we do – we are passionate about music education and the benefits of music. While yes, I’m a pro-musician and I LOVE making music… Our focus at Sing Music Studio is not to create little musicians. Our focus is on the incredible benefits that making music has for ALL children.
Watch this short video that explains about music and cognitive benefits. You’ll also see Kindermusik kids in action.
How Does Music Affect a Child’s Cognitive Development?
In a study led by Dr. Artur Jaschke, scientists assessed 147 young children in Dutch schools. After two years of music and/or visual art classes, they were determined have shown greater cognitive skills than their peers. There are significant issues with this assessment: 147 children is not a significant data set, we don’t know anything about how they were chosen for the study or if other factors, such as socioeconomic status, were included, and we don’t know who they were measured against.
That said, the scientists believed that the children had better short term memory and and less inhibition than their peers.
Music Teaches Discipline From an Early Age
Enrolling your child in Mississauga piano lessons, for instance, will teach them the power of discipline (a true superpower). We make lessons fun and engaging for kids, but the child will still need to listen, follow instructions, stick to the assigned steps, and practice in increments every day. Over a period of time, your child will notice how this regular practice will directly lead to significant improvement on the piano. The same applies for singing lessons in Mississauga, guitar lessons, and more.
This practical application of discipline alone will help your child significant outperform peers in academic pursuits, and these benefits will be noticeable throughout their whole life.
For more information about our music classes, or if you’d like to know more about our baby music classes, please get in touch! We would love to hear from you.
Preschoolers are so much fun to spend time with! The ever inquisitive preschooler with a fresh perspective on life… we can learn so much from these little cuties! Here we have the child who is now making sentences and has a clear understanding of self-awareness. You probably have started to notice your 3 year old copying everyday scenarios during play and this is the emergence of pretend play. This type of play is so important for a preschooler to explore and develop creativity and imagination. This pretend play will eventually become more complex.
Some facts about preschoolers:
- They love to tell stories!
- They think/process in pictures.
- They are very inquisitive.
- They are still learning self control and inhibitory control.
- They are still developing vocabulary.
- They are fascinated by the world.
- The midbrain is in the optimal development stage, which is directly linked to emotions.
- Memories are linked to emotions – so emotional state is KEY to learning and healthy development.
- They LOVE to be helpful.
At Sing Music Studio, we LOVE preschoolers and we are excited to support your child’s growth and continue to share our knowledge of this stage of development with you in our Kindermusik Level 3 classes for 3-4YO! We know how key the emotional state is to learning. Your child needs to feel safe, secure and loved to thrive in a learning environment. And while our Level 3 classes are much different than the earlier Kindermusik classes because they are drop-off classes, we recognize the importance of your child’s emotional state and we happily invite parents of children who are just not ready for that independent step yet to join us for as long as it takes. Kindermusik is a happy, loving place! And we are here to support your child’s learning needs in whatever way that may be!
In Kindermusik Level 3, here’s how we support the facts above about preschoolers:
- We listen!
- We allow children the time they need to process and respond and provide oral stories to facilitate mind pictures and imagination.
- We are patient, kind and answer the questions.
- We provide fun activities and structure to foster self control and inhibitory control.
- We introduce new musical language and vocabulary in our songs, rhymes and stories.
- We have 12 different units of music classes with new themes each month, exploring both new and familiar preschool appropriate material.
- We support each child’s emotional development by observing, listening, acknowledging and providing tools to both parent and child on foster each individual’s needs.
- We provide a safe and loving environment for learning with focus on happy children to foster learning!
- We notice when each child is helpful and foster that by talking about how good it makes us feel to be helpful.
New Kindermusik Level 3 classes begin in September and we can’t wait to share our time with your preschooler!